FORT MYERS, Fla. - The State Fire Marshal is working to find out why a sprinkler didn't go off when a fire broke out in a Fort Myers condo.
It happened around 3:00 a.m. at the Park Condos, near Cypress Lake.
No one was injured, but several units were damaged.
The fire started in the top condo where a woman and her son live. The mother told firefighters she woke up to flames originating from a spot near her headboard. The two tried to put out the flames because the sprinkler directly above the fire in her bedroom wasn't working. Eventually, overcome with the fire and smoke, the two safely escaped the condo.
Firefighters said it was the only sprinkler that wasn't working, which prompts the question: if it was working, could the sprinkler have prevented the fire from spreading as much as it did?
The neighbor who lives below where the fire started, described what he heard and smelled.
"We heard running around upstairs and then we heard dripping. Because it's a young guy living up there and he's always making noise, so we thought...OK. Then Bonnie came and opened the door and we saw smoke, and you could smell it," said neighbor Ken Havelka.
The top unit, number 305, is not livable, and the ones directly below it will need some repairs because of water damage. It's still unclear whether or not the complex faces repercussions for the faulty sprinkler, and also whether any of the other 45 units in the complex could have similar issues. The State Fire Marshal is investigating.