NORTH NAPLES, Fla.- A man suffered serious burns after reportedly setting himself on fire this afternoon on the 200 block of Erie Drive.
According to the North Naples Fire Department, the man was severely burned over a good portion of his body. They say he told them he used gasoline to light himself on fire, before jumping into a neighbor's pool.
He was transported to Lee Memorial Hospital by helicopter, and may be heading to Tampa General this evening.
The back yard was smoldering in spots when the fire department arrived on the scene.
"This is a tragedy with the whole thing unfolding in front of us. You know our paramedics are trained to deal with all kinds, from drowings to this. But to have a person engulfed in flames, that's awful," said Jerry Sanford with the North Naples Fire Department.
The 911 call initially came in as a fire or explosion involving a lawn mower, but no mower was involved.
The incident is still under investigation. Neighbors tell WINK News they're in shock and the