Published: Mar 18, 2014 1:50 PM EDT
Updated: Mar 18, 2014 1:51 PM EDT

CAPE CORAL, Fla.- Cape Coral residents are safe after extinguishing a kitchen fire in their home this morning.

Just after 10:00 a.m., firefighters responded to a home on the 3400 block of SE 15th Avenue and found smoke coming from it. A stove top fire had been extinguished by the home's occupants, prior to the Cape Coral Fire Department's arrival.

There were five people home at the time, and they were alerted to the fire by a smoke detector.

The fire is under investigation and no damage estimate was immediately available.

(Photo courtesy of Cape Coral Fire Department)