Published: Feb 27, 2014 12:19 PM EST
Updated: Feb 28, 2014 10:28 AM EST

SANIBEL, Fla.- A sailboat that crashed into the causeway on Sanibel early this morning has been towed away.

Officials said the 32 foot sailboat slammed into the bridge around 5:00 a.m. Officials originally tied the boat down at the boat ramps at Punta Rassa.

Right now, several agencies are trying to determine how the boat ended up hitting the causeway on the Sanibel sound.

Officials with the Department of Natural Resources in Lee county say our area has one of the most aggressive derelict boat recovery programs in the

state. Last year more than 90 thousand dollars was spent to recover, store and/or dispose of abandonned boats. The money to pay for the services

comes from State grants that a spokesperson for the DNR says is derived from property tax revenue.