|Published:||Jan 31, 2014 4:32 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 31, 2014 4:32 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla.- The Fort Myers Police Department says texting is to blame for a single-vehicle crash on Fowler Street at Edwards Drive yesterday afternoon.
A blue Chevy SUV was traveling southbound on the Edison Bridge in the far right lane coming into the City when the driver failed to slow and merge onto Fowler Street.
The vehicle struck signage in the median at Fowler Street and Edwards Drive, continued south up onto the sidewalk and eventually came to a stop when it collided with a tree head on approximately 150 feet from the initial point of impact.
The driver was transported to Lee Memorial Hospital with moderate injuries and the vehicle is said to be a total loss.
During the subsequent investigation the driver of the vehicle admitted to police that she was texting her friend about a cat and wasn’t paying attention. Police say speed was also a contributing factor.
The driver was cited for driving too fast for conditions, texting while driving and failure to maintain a single lane.
- Cape Police find child living in deplorable conditions
- Deputies confiscate handgun from students at Alva Middle
- Lee County judge rules in favor of son in life or death case
- Ford logo creates close call for FGCU men's basketball team
- FGCU WINS!
- Cape PD: Man buys iPad with stolen credit card
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Principal charged with sexually assaulting staffer
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm
- Cape Coral Police shoot 'aggressive' dog on SW 6th Ave.