|Published:||Jan 30, 2014 7:03 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 30, 2014 7:03 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla.- A WINK News Exclusive: Our cameras were rolling as FMPD officers searched for 21 suspected drug dealers.
It was all part of a six-month long investigation.
Lt. Victor Medico says, "our undercover narcotics investigators were purchasing drugs from street level drug dealers. The undercover guys go out and make the purchases and we don't want to heat it up too much so then we go out on a day like today and try to arrest everybody at once."
He adds, "they all have open booking sheets with charges pending for their arrest. They're all second degree felonies so either we're going to catch them out on the street where they sold narcotics to undercover officers or we go to their last known address."
As of about 6 p.m., eight of the 21 suspects were in custody.
He adds, "we attack those that decide to sell drugs or poison on our city streets because when there's drugs there's usually violence, they go hand in hand. So we want to take the drugs dealers off the streets, a lot of them carry guns. This is one of the many ways we combat the drug crime and the violent crime."
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Arrest made in Port Charlotte party shooting
- Child killed after being backed over by truck
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend
- Skydiver, pilot treated after midair accident
- Coast Guard: 10 migrants repatriated back to Cuba