|Published:||Jan 28, 2014 2:37 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 28, 2014 2:50 PM EST|
ESTERO, Fla.- San Carlos Park Fire District was dispatched at 10:44 a.m. to a brush fire near student housing at Florida Gulf Coast University. Firefighters arrived on scene to find smoke showing from the wooded area near South Bridge Loop.
Upon further investigation the fire was located approximately 150 feet into the woods; a tree as well as surrounding brush were involved. Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames.
The SCPFD Fire Marshal determined the cause of the fire to be carelessly discarded smoking material.
SCPFD would like to remind citizens to discard smoking materials in a responsible manner. San Carlos Park citizens are strongly advised to use common sense whenever using anything that can cause a flame or spark, and to clear the area around their home of brush and vegetation to reduce the fire risk. For more information on preparing your property for Brushfire Season please contact San Carlos Park Fire District at 267-7525.
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Collier school district approves new cyberbullying policy
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Trial date set for daycare owner charged in boy's drowning
- Woman works to improve the Dunbar community
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean
- Ukrainian student in SWFL shares perspective on unrest
- FSU students spend spring break 'serving the underserved'
- Former head of Harborside sues City of Ft. Myers