|Published:||Jan 18, 2014 8:21 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 18, 2014 8:37 PM EST|
HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. - A southwest Florida man on the FBI's Most Wanted List and suspect in his wife's murder was arrested Saturday in Hillsborough County. Edly Atherley is accused of slitting his wife Ashley's throat inside their California apartment. The couple moved there from Hillsborough County about a year ago.
29-year-old Atherley graduated from Port Charlotte High School and has friends and family in southwest Florida. He'd been on the run since November. According to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office website, he was arrested on S. Westshore Blvd in Tampa.
Ashley Atherley's mother Lucia Robles issued this statement on the arrest:
"We were concerned to learn that Edly was in Tampa and within such close physical proximity to many family members while he was running from law enforcement and crossing the country. We are relieved to know that he is now in custody and that he cannot harm anyone else. Our prayer is that the judicial process will unfold in a timely and just manner so that Ashley's death will be properly recorded as a domestic violence murder and our family can experience justice for the loss of Ashley's beautiful and productive life. Our lives have been forever altered and for the sake of her children, we hope to one day regain a sense of balance and peace once this process is over."
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend