|Published:||Jan 17, 2014 6:22 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 17, 2014 6:56 PM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- If you get electric bills, you may have received an email from Florida Power and Light warning you about a scam. FPL says scammers are sending emails not only to its customers but also to other utility customers in the Southwest Florida area.
"This scam is actually similar to what our customers began experiencing last week when scammers targeted them with emails that were monthly statements appearing from other legitimate utilities like pacific gas & electric," said Heather Kirkendall a spokesperson with FPL.
If you receive the bogus email, Kirkendall said to delete it. She said don't confuse it with your FPL email notification about your bill. Kirkendall said "If they're getting an FPL bill and they're not sure if its their actual email bill or their real email bill, just look at the account number and see if its your account number and if it's not it's definitely fraudulent."
Kirkendall said the fake bill is popping up in other utility customers inboxes.
"We've been hearing from folks as far away as Canada receiving these fraudulent emails," Kirkendall said.
WINK News also reached out to the Lee County Electric Cooperative, they say several of their customers have received the scam.
Both utility companies urge customers not to give out any personal information.Customers should call them with any concerns about suspicious emails or calls.
FPL has reported this latest scam to the Florida Attorney Generals Office.
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Collier school district approves new cyberbullying policy
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Trial date set for daycare owner charged in boy's drowning
- Woman works to improve the Dunbar community
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean
- Ukrainian student in SWFL shares perspective on unrest
- FSU students spend spring break 'serving the underserved'
- Former head of Harborside sues City of Ft. Myers