Published: Jan 15, 2014 3:59 PM EST

CAPE CORAL, Fla.- Two Cape Coral siblings were recognized for their quick actions at a house fire on December 4th.

Dyanette Cerna, 9, and her brother Wilbert Cerna, 11, were presented with certificates at the “Do The Right Thing” ceremony at City Hall today. They were part of a group of 12 young people who were recognized for their efforts that ranged from anti-bullying to community outreach to lifesaving.

On December 4th, firefighters responded to 4128 Country Club Boulevard and found smoke coming from the single-story residence. Dyanette first spotted the fire and yelled to her mother who was in her bedroom. Wilbert grabbed the telephone and called 911.

The fire originated on the electric stove top due to an oil fire in a pan. The damage extended into the cabinets above the stove with minor extension into the attic space above the ceiling. Damage was estimated at $35,000 and the family remains out of the home as repairs are completed.