|Published:||Jan 14, 2014 7:35 AM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 14, 2014 7:35 AM EST|
LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) - A high school junior is dead after he chased his skateboard into a Lakeland road and was hit by a van.
Police say 16-year-old Devyn Rainey was standing on the curb Monday afternoon when his skateboard rolled into the road. He went to retrieve it and was hit by a van driven by 58-year-old Douglas Heruska.
The Ledger of Lakeland (http://bit.ly/1m4IkeE ) reports the driver stopped and attempted to help Rainey. Sheriff's officials say several other drivers and bystanders also tried to help the boy.
Investigators say Heruska did not appear to be impaired or speeding. The investigation is continuing but deputies say it doesn't appear there will be any charges.
Information from: The Ledger (Lakeland, Fla.), http://www.theledger.com
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Scammers call Charlotte County residents claiming to be CCU
- Alva students arrested for gun, caught with ammo day before
- SUV sinks into hole in Cape Coral construction project
- Neighbors saw red flags ahead of animal cruelty arrest
- Indictment accuses SWFL residents of human smuggling
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp Festival returns
- Fire officials say radios need upgrades by 2017