|Published:||Jan 14, 2014 2:03 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 14, 2014 2:03 PM EST|
KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) - Authorities are investigating after they say a father threw his 2-year-old son off a second-floor, hotel balcony in central Florida before jumping himself.
Kissimmee police responded to the hotel around 2 a.m. Tuesday. Authorities say Juan Pablo Maradiaga will face an attempted murder charge.
The toddler suffered multiple injuries including several fractures, but is expected to recover. He is being treated by a team of specialized physicians. Maradiaga was also hospitalized, but his condition was not known.
The Department of Children and Families is in the early stages of its investigation and has not made any changes in the child's custody. The agency said in a statement that the child will remain safely in the hospital while they complete their assessment.
The agency has not had any prior contact with the child.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Power Outage Delays FGCU Game. Power Surge causes TV delay
- Firefighters rescue driver from atop his submerged vehicle
- Despite loss, FGCU fans make the best of game day
- LCSO searches for hit & run suspect, bicyclist hospitalized
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- Security plans for Boston Marathon to be detailed