|Published:||Jan 07, 2014 2:37 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 07, 2014 2:37 PM EST|
DANIA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A parking garage at the Airport Hilton in Dania Beach is being torn down to make way for a new runway at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.
Demolition got underway this week at the two-story parking structure. The 400-room, eight-story hotel will remain open until April. It should be completely torn down by June.
The 8,000-foot south runway is expected to open later this year. Officials decided the hotel and parking garage would pose potential harm to planes using the new runway.
Airport officials say the runway will help ease delays at the airport.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Alva students arrested for gun, caught with ammo day before
- SUV sinks into hole in Cape Coral construction project
- Neighbors saw red flags ahead of animal cruelty arrest
- Fire officials say radios need upgrades by 2017
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp Festival returns
- Ex-inmate sues DeSoto Sheriff's Office for millions
- Local repairman fixes broken Cape Coral clock for free