|Published:||Jan 06, 2014 8:21 AM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 06, 2014 8:21 AM EST|
HAINES CITY, Fla. (AP) - Deputies say a patient who went missing from a central Florida heart hospital was fatally struck by a vehicle in the middle of U.S. 27.
The Polk County Sheriff's Office says 48-year-old Larry G. Strouse was tossed over the hood of the car that hit him Sunday night. He crashed into the windshield and was thrown more than 100 feet from the point of impact.
Investigators learned that Strouse had been a patient at Heart of Florida Hospital in Haines City. He removed his IV and left the hospital. Officials had reported him missing shortly before the crash.
No one inside the car was injured. Police say speed, impairment or distracted driving do not appear to be factors in the crash. No charges have been filed.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- Estero firefighters rescue impaled seagull
- Men allegedly point guns at FMPD officers