|Published:||Jan 06, 2014 2:44 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 06, 2014 2:44 PM EST|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Busch Gardens says one of its gorillas has delivered a stillborn baby.
The park in Tampa announced Monday that Pele delivered the baby Sunday night.
The park's Facebook page announced in November that Pele, an 11-year-old lowland gorilla, was expecting her first baby late December. The cause of the stillbirth was not immediately known.
Park officials said in a statement that zoo veterinarians and staff are still investigating the cause of death. They said Pele has no apparent signs of complications, but is still under close observation by the veterinary and animal care teams at Busch Gardens.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Collier school district approves new cyberbullying policy
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean
- FMB holds election for Town Council members
- Woman works to improve the Dunbar community