|Published:||Jan 03, 2014 11:43 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 03, 2014 11:43 PM EST|
SAN CARLOS PARK, Fla. - WINK News is learning it took one critical tip to bust a nationwide drug operation in southwest Florida. Right now, the alleged ringleader, 28-year-old Ryan Carroll is behind bars in the Lee County Jail. This, after deputies seized more than 700 pounds of synthetic marijuana from his home.
Neighbors on Meadow Lake Circle didn't know much about the people living inside this home at 17363. But they sensed something was off when we saw how many packages were being shipped to and from the home.
According to a new arrest report, a FedEx driver noticed a "funny odor" coming from 18 brown cardboard boxes requested by Ryan Carroll to be picked up at his home. New Year's Eve, investigators raided that house, along with two others in San Carlos Park, seizing 700 pounds and 79,000 packets of drugs along with semi-automatic weapons. The bust put Carroll, Benjamin Smith and James Allen behind bars.
WINK News reached out to FedEx to find out how workers are trained to spot red flags like this one. A spokesperson only could tell us that they use multiple levels of security and cooperate fully with local, state and federal authorities.
Carroll recently made headlines when he won a contest to see the TV show Breaking Bad's finale with the cast members. Breaking Bad is a series that follows a teacher who makes and distributes meth.
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Cape police arrest 2nd suspect in child neglect case
- Man accused of killing dog with pickaxe appears in court
- Man posts Facebook video of himself jumping on manatees
- CCSO: Woman uses stolen credit card to buy TV
- Cape woman at center of life support controversy passes away
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Woman, 97, hit by trooper dies of injuries
- Car drives into hole in Cape Coral