|Published:||Dec 30, 2013 10:36 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 30, 2013 10:36 AM EST|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Police say a man fatally shot a woman as horrified diners took cover inside a west Jacksonville Applebee's restaurant.
The shooting took place around 8 p.m. Sunday. About 40 people were dining at the time.
The Florida Times-Union (bit.ly/1ltDGqh ) reports about 20 customers crawled through the kitchen and went behind a large trash bin.
Jacksonville Sheriff's Sgt. Shawn Coarsey says witnesses detained the shooter until officers arrived.
The newspaper reports a teenager believed to be the victim's daughter ran around the restaurant, frantically crying.
The victim was taken to the hospital, where she died later Sunday.
Coarsey says the man has been detained by police.
No names were released. An investigation continues.
Information from: The (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union, http://www.jacksonville.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Collier school district approves new cyberbullying policy
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean
- FMB holds election for Town Council members
- Woman works to improve the Dunbar community