|Published:||Dec 27, 2013 6:26 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 27, 2013 6:26 AM EST|
DELTONA, Fla. (AP) - The family of a man who was fatally shot as he worked in his backyard on Christmas says they're living a nightmare.
Authorities said Thursday the shooting appears to be accidental but the investigation continues.
The person investigators believe fired the shot that killed 69-year-old Bruce Fleming admitted to firing the shot in a nearby yard. But Volusia County Sheriff's deputies say the man said didn't know his shot hit anyone.
Jessica Blackwell told the Daytona Beach News-Journal (http://bit.ly/1acnkwX ) her father was working outside while Christmas dinner was being prepared. Fleming's son Joshua found him lying in the dirt, bleeding, and ran to call 911. The son then helped his father to the driveway. Crews arrived and took him to a hospital where he died a short time later.
Information from: Daytona Beach (Fla.) News-Journal, http://www.news-journalonline.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Early morning crash on US 41 kills pedestrian
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School today
- Interactive play to teach dangers of drug use
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Stolen puppy returned to Pensacola pet store
- FMB holds election for Town Council members
- Cape Police investigate suspicious package overnight