|Published:||Dec 19, 2013 11:06 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 19, 2013 5:45 PM EST|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- An electrical short in a damaged cord under a Christmas tree is being blamed for a Cape Coral house fire Wednesday evening.
The fire spread to furniture in the living room before it was extinguished by firefighters.
The investigation revealed the fire started at a damaged portion of an extension cord used to light up the Christmas tree. The artificial tree along with much of the living room contents was destroyed. Damage was estimated at $200,000, primarily from heat and smoke damage in the structure and to contents.
The family was not home at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.
The Cape Coral Fire Department reminds everyone that it only takes a spark to destroy a home from fire. Here are some safety tips that should be practiced throughout the season.
. Turn off lights when asleep or away from home.
· Never use indoor extension cords for outside lighting.
· Unplug light strings before changing bulbs.
· Do not overload extension cords.
· Do not use indoor lights outdoors.
· Check all lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections, and throw out damaged sets.
· Replace burned-out bulbs promptly with the same wattage bulbs.
· Always read product safety labels before product use.