Published: Dec 18, 2013 11:15 PM EST
Updated: Dec 18, 2013 11:17 PM EST

Cape Coral, Florida --- A fire burned a Cape Coral home Wednesday, but quick actions kept the it from doing more damage.

Around 7:40 pm firefighters under the Command of James Parker responded to a report of a house full of smoke at 3510 SE 8th Place.  In spite of the inability to see anything, the crew was able to locate the fire in the living room and extinguish the fire within moments, saving the rest of the house.

While the fire appeared to originate in the living room near the family’s Christmas tree, investigators worked late into the evening to pinpoint the origin of the fire.

Fires that originate in the living room can be caused by a variety of sources. While this fire remains under investigation, Cape Coral firefighters want to remind everyone that there are some basic fire safety rules to follow during the Christmas season:

 

·         Nearly half of all living room fires are caused by careless smoking. Matches and lighters can be hazards too – especially when used by children as toys.

·         Discarded cigarettes are a cause of fires. Smokers should heavy safety ashtrays and discard ashes and cigarette butts into a metal and sealed containers.

·         If you use a portable heater be careful not to put it where it might get tipped over. Also make sure objects are placed at a safe distance (at least 36 inches) away from the heating unit.

·         If you have a fireplace, make sure you use a screen to keep sparks from flying into the room. Never leave a fire unattended, and use only firewood to start fires. Chimneys should be cleaned every year to avoid chimney fires.

·         Don’t forget to check for electrical hazards! Examine cords and plugs for cracking or fraying. Extension cords can be damaged if placed where they may be pinched (under a rug) as heat can build up in the cord and start a fire.

·         Don’t overload outlets by using too many extension cords or plugs.

·         TVs, radios, and VCRs need open air space at the top, sides and back as they build up heat. Keep all these appliances away from water and clutter.

·         It’s fun to decorate for parties and holidays – but think safety when placing decorations in your living room. Decorations should not be flammable.

·         Candles or open flames should never be left unattended. If you leave a room with lit candles, make sure those candles are out.