|Published:||Dec 12, 2013 11:05 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 12, 2013 11:05 AM EST|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - A 20-year-old woman faces manslaughter charges after police say she accidentally shot and killed her boyfriend with a gun that was treated like a plaything.
St. Petersburg police say 23-year-old Michael Ward was shot in the chest by Many Avis on Wednesday evening at the home they shared with another couple.
Police spokesman Mike Puetz says Ward recently purchased the firearm. Avis apparently believed the gun was not loaded when she picked it up, pointed it at Ward's chest and pulled the trigger.
Ward was taken to a St. Petersburg hospital, where he died.
Police say the other residents of the house told them Ward and Avis were not fighting when the shot was fired.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Cape police arrest 2nd suspect in child neglect case
- Man accused of killing dog with pickaxe appears in court
- Man posts Facebook video of himself jumping on manatees
- CCSO: Woman uses stolen credit card to buy TV
- Cape woman at center of life support controversy passes away
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Woman, 97, hit by trooper dies of injuries
- Car drives into hole in Cape Coral