|Published:||Dec 12, 2013 10:50 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 12, 2013 11:02 AM EST|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- An apartment fire allegedly set by a toddler, at 1222 SE 8th Street, was quickly extinguished by firefighters Wednesday evening, but resulted in the 3rd red bulb added to the Fire Safety Wreath at the Cape Coral Fire Department.
Around 10:45 p.m., 911 dispatchers received a call reporting a bed on fire. When firefighters arrived, they discovered a burning mattress in a child’s bedroom. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire using a minimal amount of water, but smoke and heat significantly damaged the bedroom. There were no injuries.
The fire is under investigation, but preliminary indications from family members indicate the 3-year-old girl unintentionally started the fire using a cigarette lighter. She alerted the grandfather, who attempted to extinguish it and then called 911. The child's mother was at work at the time of the fire, but arrived home after it was extinguished.
The fire damage was limited to child’s bedroom, with very minor smoke damage extending through adjacent rooms of the apartment. Damage was estimated at $10,000 and firefighters.
Residents in other apartments were temporarily displaced, but were allowed back in their homes once the scene was deemed safe.
Cape Coral firefighters placed the wreath, illuminated with green bulbs, at Fire Station 4 located at 2007 Santa Barbara Boulevard. In the first 11 days of the month, there have been three residential fires resulting in damage and thus there are three red bulbs on the wreath. The wreath’s purpose is to serve as a visual reminder of the safety precautions that should be taken during this Holiday Season and throughout the year. The wreath will remain lit through January 1.
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Alva students arrested for gun, caught with ammo day before
- SUV sinks into hole in Cape Coral construction project
- Neighbors saw red flags ahead of animal cruelty arrest
- Fire officials say radios need upgrades by 2017
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp Festival returns
- Ex-inmate sues DeSoto Sheriff's Office for millions
- 6-foot-long pet snake has surgery after eating a towel