|Published:||Dec 09, 2013 7:52 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 09, 2013 7:52 AM EST|
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Art Basel officials say 75,000 people attended the prestigious contemporary art fair in Miami Beach this year.
Officials say that's a 7 percent increase over last year's attendance at the Miami Beach Convention Center.
That number doesn't include the thousands of art enthusiasts and tourists who descended on South Florida last week for free public art displays, independent art fairs, museum and gallery exhibits and other satellite events.
Art Basel in Miami Beach closed Sunday. The fair at the convention center featured paintings, sculptures, photographs and films from 258 art galleries in 31 countries.
The fair is the U.S. extension of the contemporary art fair held each June in Basel, Switzerland. Art Basel also added a Hong Kong fair earlier this year.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Alva students arrested for gun, caught with ammo day before
- SUV sinks into hole in Cape Coral construction project
- Neighbors saw red flags ahead of animal cruelty arrest
- Fire officials say radios need upgrades by 2017
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp Festival returns
- Ex-inmate sues DeSoto Sheriff's Office for millions
- 6-foot-long pet snake has surgery after eating a towel