CAPE CORAL, Fla. ---
Fire station Number 2 in Cape Coral, the victim of a growing mold problem.
"Ultimately I hope this gets solved quickly, get guys back into their house," said Brandon Fonock, President of the Fireman's Local.
Firefighters have suspected it for months!
"My men have approached me, complaints, symptoms of mold, scratchy throat, runny eyes, runny nose," said Fonock.
And finally! The city found what they were looking for, after completing an air quality study.
"We knew there was mold here, we just didn't know how bad," said Fonock.
Now its forced the building to shut down for a month,
"Got to point where it wasn't habitable building for our firefighters anymore," said Fonock.
But they'll only be acorss the street. So they say you won't have to worry about response times, only make minor changes.
"Would like the citizens to know this station is temporarily closed, it's a safe place but not be able to accept any children," said Interim Chief Donald Cochran.
A private company is lending its hands, to get things up and running as soon as possible.
"As soon as we finish the evaluation process, well know a little bit better of the long term solution," said Cochran.
They expect the building to be completed in 30 days.
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - Cape Coral's Fire Station #2, located at the corner of Nicholas Parkway and Cultural Park Boulevard, has been closed temporarily for repairs.
Water damage in the kitchen area resulted in mold issues, and the facility cannot be used until the mold has been remediated and additional repairs completed.
The firefighters and equipment from the station have been relocated to the City’s Emergency Operations Center in the interim.
There will no interruption in services provided from the station.
Remediation and repair to the Fire Station #2 is expected to take at least 30 days.