|Published:||Dec 05, 2013 10:28 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 05, 2013 10:29 PM EST|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla - A stolen boat hauled away from an Isles of Capri home is now sitting in Cancun, Mexico. That's according to a GPS tracker inside the vessel.
The owner was out of town and got an email alert. He tracked the whole thing as it happened but couldn't do anything to stop it.
"Monday morning I got an email from a friend, an alert that he got in his email that he says his boat was on the move in the Gulf of Mexico," says Joey Dobin.
Sure enough, when Dobin went to his friends Isles of Capri home he found an empty ramp. His friends $250,000 Yellowfin boat was long gone.
"Oh my god I couldn't believe it," says Dobin. "By the time we saw the track it was about 100 miles west leaving Marco Island and you can see right where they go south straight down to Mexico."
Detectives know exactly where the boat is. They've located it in Cancun and can even see it on Google Earth.
"Just watching it and wondering why they can't go pick it up but apparently they have problems with the Mexican government and it's more complicated than we know," says Dobin.
The Collier County Sheriff's Office is staying quiet about the case but they're using this as a warning to other boat owners to protect your property.
"If you're out and see something suspicious don't be afraid to call the sheriffs office," says Connie Ledbetter, a crime prevention specialist at CCSO.
They suggest if your boat is in the water or on a lift to:
- Keep the cabin locked and the curtains closed
- Never leave the keys in the ignition or hide spare keys on the boat
- Store your boat in a well-lot and secure area
- If possible store your boat in a locked garage
Dobin says he was told the crooks likely scoped out the boat for several days knowing the owner was out of town. "Thieves that take these kinds of boats are pros. They know exactly how to take the boat without a key."
Dobin tells WINK News the Sheriffs Office is trying to get that boat back from Mexico but it could take time.
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Child killed after being backed over by truck
- Arrest made in Port Charlotte party shooting
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend
- Skydiver, pilot treated after midair accident
- Coast Guard: 10 migrants repatriated back to Cuba