Published: Dec 01, 2013 3:02 PM EST
Updated: Dec 01, 2013 9:27 PM EST

A man accused of killing a woman and driving recklessly made his first appearance in front of a Collier County judge Sunday morning.

Peter Ferreira, 42, Marco Island, is charged with vehicular homicide and reckless driving.  His bond is set at $75,000 for the homicide charge plus $5,000 for the reckless driving charge.

Marco Island Police say Ferreira sped through a stop sign at the intersection of Tahiti Rd. and Bayport Ave. Saturday afternoon.  His car collided with another, killing the driver, 91-year-old Theresa Lesniak.

"It was bad," said Jerry Bonfitto, who saw the wreckage.  "I mean, (Lesniak's) car was totally smashed on the drivers side."

Chris Sweeney was working in his front yard, just feet away from the crash, when he saw it happen.  

"I saw the car barreling. I saw what was going to happen, and it happened," Sweeney said.  "Debris -- just a debris cloud."

Lesniak's passenger, Michael Jones, got out of the car and suffered only minor injuries.

"(Jones) just hoisted himself out of the car and was immediately angry, upset, concerned," Sweeney said.

Sweeney said he also saw Ferreira get out of his car.

"He just popped out and said, 'Everyone OK?'  I think I said something to the effect of,  'Are you kidding me?'"

According to the police report, Ferreira told officers he going 35 miles per hour at the time of the crash.  Tahiti Rd. has a 25 mile-per-hour speed limit.

The police report also said Ferreira tried to leave the hospital, where he was being treated for minor injuries. He had to be detained.

We checked Ferreira's record and found he has been arrested once before for reckless driving and twice for driving under the influence.
Police say Ferreira refused to do any field sobriety tests at the scene of Saturday's crash.
We spent majority of the night trying to talk to those involved in this deadly crash, as well as their families.

WINK first stopped by Peter Ferreria's home, he's the man charged in the death of 91-year-old Theresa Lesinak.Ferreira's mother answered and told WINK News, her son was in a "deep sleep" and she wasn't going to wake him to talk to us.
While she chose not to go on camera, his mother said this is a hard time for her family.
According to police, Ferreira said he was driving home from the gym because he forgot his protein and he was in a hurry; he didn't see the car before it was too late.

We also talked to Lesinaks daughter outside of her Marco Island home.
She says Michael Jones, her mother's passenger, was able to call her after making it out of the car to let her know about the crash.
She expressed how upset she was that Ferreira was let out on an $80,000 bond.

Right now, she is making arrangements to send her mothers body back to Massachusetts.
And, Theresa just celebrated her 91st birthday last week, on November 27th.