|Published:||Nov 30, 2013 5:35 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 30, 2013 5:35 PM EST|
MIAMI (AP) - Two female joggers were hospitalized with serious injuries Saturday after being struck by a driver who authorities say fell asleep at the wheel.
The women were running along the 79th Street Causeway in Miami at about 8:30 a.m. when they were hit, Miami Fire Rescue Lt. Ignatius Carroll said.
The impact sent one of the women over the causeway rail and into the brush by the bay. She was pulled out and both women were airlifted to Ryder Trauma Center.
Carroll said the runners were reported to be in stable condition. The driver of the SUV, a female companion and baby in the car were not injured.
The injured women were running with a group and had stopped to get water, Carroll said. They were trying to catch up with the others when they were struck.
"According to the driver, he dozed off at the wheel," Carroll said. "When that happens, he struck two women and a light pole."
A third jogger may also have sustained minor injuries and been taken the hospital by a friend, Carroll said.
The crash is being investigated by Miami police. They did not immediately return a call seeking further information on the crash.
NBC Miami reported (http://bit.ly/1b6fzLJ ) the driver of the vehicle was arrested for driving without a valid license.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Collier school district approves new cyberbullying policy
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Trial date set for daycare owner charged in boy's drowning
- Ukrainian student in SWFL shares perspective on unrest
- Woman works to improve the Dunbar community
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean
- FSU students spend spring break 'serving the underserved'
- Former head of Harborside sues City of Ft. Myers