|Published:||Nov 25, 2013 7:49 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 25, 2013 7:49 AM EST|
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a 70-year-old sex crime suspect died two days after a suicide attempt at the Volusia County Jail.
The Daytona Beach News-Journal (http://bit.ly/1jAEnxa ) reported Sunday that Dennis Dellechiaie died Nov. 16 following a cardiac arrest.
On Nov. 14, a corrections officer gave the inmate his cell assignment. According to reports, he then walked up the stairs, set a bag of belongings on the ground beside his cell and jumped over the railing. Jail officials say a Code White, which warns of a suicide attempt, was sounded.
The inmate was secured on a stretcher and taken to a Daytona Beach hospital.
The officer says the inmate didn't "say or do anything" that indicated he wanted to harm himself.
He was the second inmate to die after a suicide attempt this month.
Information from: Daytona Beach (Fla.) News-Journal, http://www.news-journalonline.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- FWC releases rehabilitated panther in Hendry County
- Cincy firefighters are heating things up on FMB
- Changes to Lee Way mean customers buy new transponders
- Mom blames husband after driving kids into ocean
- School bus hits bicyclist on Pine Island Rd.