CAPE CORAL, Fla.- Cape Coral firefighters extinguished an RV on fire at 3530 SW 17th Ave. this afternoon.
Firefighters found the RV completely engulfed in flames. The vehicle was parked across the street from homes on 17th Avenue and no structures were ever in danger, according to the Cape Coral Fire Department.
No one was injured.
According to the family, they had returned from a trip to Busch Gardens and were using a fragrance candle to freshen the air inside the motor home. At some point during the day, investigators believe the candle caught the center of the RV on fire which then spread rapidly. The vehicle, valued at $35,000, was a total loss.
According to the US Fire Administration, 42 home candle fires are reported every day – over 15,250 annually. More than half of all candle fires start when something that could burn, such as furniture, mattresses or bedding, curtains, or decorations is too close to the candle.
Nationally, there have been an average of 3,100 RV fires each year since 2000. These fires caused seven deaths, 62 injuries and approximately $41 million in damages in each of those years, according to Cape Fire.