Cape Coral Fire Department

Published: Nov 15, 2013 11:03 AM EST
Updated: Nov 15, 2013 11:57 AM EST

CAPE CORAL, Fla.- Cape Coral firefighters contained a chemical spill at Cape Coral Hospital early Friday morning.

Hazardous Materials technicians discovered a container of Peroxacetic Acid was leaking down a shelf in a storage area around 6:15 a.m. The hazard was contained without injury.

At no time were there any evacuations.

According to the Cape Coral Fire Department, Peroxyacetic Acid is more commonly known as Hydrogen Peroxide, but in this environment it is concentrated form used for cleaning in a hospital setting. The liquid is corrosive and can cause skin irritation and difficulty breathing when exposed to human tissue. The normal Hydrogen Peroxide found in households is a three percent concentration, whereas in hospital and healthcare setting the percentage can range from 15-25 percent making it hazardous to anyone not familiar with it.