|Published:||Nov 15, 2013 11:03 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 15, 2013 11:57 AM EST|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- Cape Coral firefighters contained a chemical spill at Cape Coral Hospital early Friday morning.
Hazardous Materials technicians discovered a container of Peroxacetic Acid was leaking down a shelf in a storage area around 6:15 a.m. The hazard was contained without injury.
At no time were there any evacuations.
According to the Cape Coral Fire Department, Peroxyacetic Acid is more commonly known as Hydrogen Peroxide, but in this environment it is concentrated form used for cleaning in a hospital setting. The liquid is corrosive and can cause skin irritation and difficulty breathing when exposed to human tissue. The normal Hydrogen Peroxide found in households is a three percent concentration, whereas in hospital and healthcare setting the percentage can range from 15-25 percent making it hazardous to anyone not familiar with it.
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Child killed after being backed over by truck
- Arrest made in Port Charlotte party shooting
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend
- Skydiver, pilot treated after midair accident
- Coast Guard: 10 migrants repatriated back to Cuba