|Published:||Nov 14, 2013 2:59 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 14, 2013 5:04 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla.- A large fire sparked at A&D Shredding, located at 3066 Cranford Ave., around 2:25 p.m.
The fire was initially reported to be in a trailer. Winds caused the fire to spread. A forklift and other equipment was lost, and cardboard continued to burn.
The Fort Myers Fire Department used eight units and received assistance from five other departments to battle the flames.
Crews will remain on scene all night.
Fire investigators will determine the cause of the fire once FMFD has had a chance to "mop-up."
The Fort Myers Police Department has closed Evans and Hunter Terrace, Evans and Hanson, and Fowler and Moreno, due to smoke. Drivers should avoid those areas.
Neighboring departments are assisting with any other fire and EMS calls with the City.
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Cape police arrest 2nd suspect in child neglect case
- Man accused of killing dog with pickaxe appears in court
- Man posts Facebook video of himself jumping on manatees
- CCSO: Woman uses stolen credit card to buy TV
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Woman, 97, hit by trooper dies of injuries
- Car drives into hole in Cape Coral
- Scammers call Charlotte County residents claiming to be CCU