|Published:||Nov 12, 2013 8:20 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 12, 2013 8:20 AM EST|
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - The wife of convicted Ponzi schemer Scott Rothstein is facing possible federal prison time when she is sentenced for trying to hide $1 million in jewelry from federal agents.
The maximum 39-year-old Kim Rothstein could get at Tuesday's hearing is five years behind bars. But prosecutors are asking for leniency because of her cooperation in the ongoing investigation. Her defense lawyer says Scott Rothstein bears some blame for his wife's attempt sell jewelry investigators sought to confiscate.
Also facing sentencing Tuesday is Kim Rothstein's friend, Stacie Weisman. Both previously pleaded guilty to conspiracy charges.
Scott Rothstein is serving a 50-year prison sentence for operating a $1.2 billion fraud scam involving investments in fake legal settlements. Kim Rothstein's attorney says in court papers she has recently filed for divorce.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Police arrest man who crashed his car into Cape canal
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- FMPD arrests 2, seizes drugs, cash and handgun during search
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash
- CCSO investigates Waffle House armed robbery
- Men allegedly point guns at FMPD officers
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.