|Published:||Nov 09, 2013 7:27 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 09, 2013 7:32 PM EST|
FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla. - Hundreds of daring runners hit the sand this morning to compete in the first-ever Survival Beach event. It was a 3-mile run from the Pink Shell Resort on Fort Myers Beach up to Bowditch Point and back.
But, here's the challenge: runners had to jump, climb, duck under and wade through about a dozen obstacles spread throughout the course.
"Some of them are a little difficult," Allison Cary said. "There are some monkey bars, there's this tarp thing you have to shimmy under and it smelled bad, but we definitely made it through. It was fun."
WINK News was a sponsor of the event. Our own Haley Hinds took the challenge and in the final round, she came out on top to earn the title of "Last Woman Standing."
The "Last Man Standing" was Glen Button of Fort Myers.
- Police arrest man who crashed his car into Cape canal
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- FMPD arrests 2, seizes drugs, cash and handgun during search
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash
- CCSO investigates Waffle House armed robbery
- Men allegedly point guns at FMPD officers
- Security plans for Boston Marathon to be detailed
- Woman dies after driving into pond