|Published:||Nov 07, 2013 1:42 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 07, 2013 1:42 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The man who drives LeeTran "The Happy Bus" has been named the best operator in the State of Florida.
Anthony "Tony" Varcalli was honored as Operator of the Year by the Florida Public Transportation Association at its annual conference last week. In his 46 years as a professional driver, 18 with LeeTran and 28 as a tractor-trailer driver in Michigan, he has logged more than 5.2 million miles, and never wanted to do anything else.
“I’ve loved every minute of it,” said Varcalli. “Driving the tractor-trailer was fun when I was young, but driving the bus is perfect for me. I love talking to the people, having fun.”
It’s that attitude that led his passengers to dub whatever bus he’s driving, “The Happy Bus.”
“Tony has the unique ability to diffuse customer service issues, even between passengers,” wrote LeeTran Deputy Director Paul Goyette in his nomination letter. “He is a positive spirit.”
Varcalli will retire in August 2014. He plans to move to Matlacha to indulge his love of fishing and enjoy the Florida sunshine.
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Cape police arrest 2nd suspect in child neglect case
- Man posts Facebook video of himself jumping on manatees
- CCSO: Woman uses stolen credit card to buy TV
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Woman, 97, hit by trooper dies of injuries
- Car drives into hole in Cape Coral
- Scammers call Charlotte County residents claiming to be CCU
- Alva students arrested for gun, caught with ammo day before