|Published:||Oct 25, 2013 5:26 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 25, 2013 5:26 PM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Tampa Bay area authorities are looking for a man they say showed his 4-year-old nephew where a gun was being kept and then fled after the boy shot his aunt in the back.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office reports that 22-year-old Randall Simmons showed the .25 caliber semi-automatic handgun to the boy Monday while they were sitting in a van parked outside a business. The boy retrieved the gun after Simmons got out and managed to shoot his aunt, who was sitting in the front passenger seat.
Simmons returned to the van after hearing the gunshot but then fled the area.
The aunt was taken to Tampa General Hospital and released the next day.
Simmons faces charges of culpable negligence and being a felon in possession of a firearm.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids