|Published:||Oct 23, 2013 5:32 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 23, 2013 6:17 PM EDT|
NORTH PORT, Fla. - The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office is investigating a North Port Police Officer-involved shooting that happened last night near Toledo Blade Blvd.
The occupant of a suspicious vehicle, whose name has not yet been released, was pronounced dead at the hospital after Officer Aaron Nick called out "shots fired."
Just before 11:00 p.m., Officer Nick responded to the suspicious vehicle (a white minivan) approximately half a mile north of I-I-75. A minute after his arrival, Officer Nick called out “shots fired” and additional officers were dispatched and responding to the area.
Investigators believe the suspect brandished a weapon. The officer was not injured.
As is standard procedure, Officer Nick was placed on administrative leave with pay.
The investigation is ongoing.
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim
- Man catches dog thief in the act
- Post Office offers help on Sundays
- Ft. Myers woman reflects on Mandela, growing up in S. Africa
- Edcational app making the grade in Lee County Schools
- Garrod Drywall burglary suspect blacks out cameras
- Couple killed while crossing US 1 in central Fla.
- Naples beach renourishment project set to wrap up next week