|Published:||Oct 21, 2013 10:44 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 22, 2013 12:04 AM EDT|
EAST NAPLES, Fla - Detectives are trying to figure out why a landlord gunned down his tenant in the middle of the day.
The father of the victim, 51-year-old Edward Melone, spoke exclusively to WINK News about his sons relationship with the accused killer, Javier Ortoll.
Ortoll faces second degree murder charges. Neighbors say they heard a gunshot at a home on Okeechobee Street in East Naples just off 41 East.
"I heard a pop," says Conrad Worthy. "My step father bent over. My sister ran out saying he shot him."
Collier County detectives tell WINK News Javier "Javi" Ortoll, 78, shot and killed Eddie Melone, 51.
Family members say Ortoll was in his truck when he shot Melone in the chest. He died in his front yard.
"They knew each other well," says Edward Malone, Eddie's father. "The circumstances behind it, I'm at a loss."
Melone's father, says his son was one of nine children and was also a husband and father.
He says Melone was living in a house owned by Ortoll for a little over a month and helping to fix it up.
"He pulled up in his truck and whatever the exchange they had, if any, he pulled out a weapon and blew my son away," says Melone.
"I heard Javi yelling about rent and my step father said he'll give it to him tomorrow," says Worthy.
Ortoll's step son, who didn't want to go on camera, says his step father, who uses a wheelchair, doesn't have a violent nature.
"Javi's a very loving person who would never in a million years do what they're saying he done unless he was provoked."
But now, a family is left to wonder how this tragedy may have been prevented.
"I wanted to leave the earth before any of my children did," says Melone. "today interrupted my plans."
- Cape Police find child living in deplorable conditions
- Deputies confiscate handgun from students at Alva Middle
- Lee County judge rules in favor of son in life or death case
- Ford logo creates close call for FGCU men's basketball team
- FGCU WINS!
- Cape PD: Man buys iPad with stolen credit card
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Cape Coral Police shoot 'aggressive' dog on SW 6th Ave.
- Principal charged with sexually assaulting staffer
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm