|Published:||Oct 22, 2013 7:55 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 22, 2013 7:57 AM EDT|
CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) - A man will serve life in prison without parole for stabbing his ex-girlfriend 32 times.
A judge in Clearwater handed down the sentence on Monday, nearly two years after 21-year-old Melissa Dohme nearly died from injuries sustained in the attack. Robert Lee Burton Jr. pleaded guilty to an attempted first-degree murder charge in August
She recounted the attack in the courtroom on Monday, telling of the months of surgeries and therapy that followed.
The Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/1gyEEo3 ) reports Burton stabbed Dohme outside her home in January 2012. She testified that she crawled to a mailbox so he wouldn't run over her as he left.
A trauma surgeon told the judge it was a miracle Dohme survived. He says she was seconds away from dying.
Burton apologized before the sentencing.
Information from: Tampa Bay Times (St. Petersburg, Fla.), http://www.tampabay.com.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- North Fort Myers murder suspect caught
- Neighbors say homicide victim was loved by everyone
- Sailors take to the harbor for regatta
- Collier County Deputies Search For Missing Woman
- BREAKING: Suspect in Lehigh double murder located in WY
- Bears take a swim in a Collier County pool
- FSU accuser's attorney to hold news conference