|Published:||Oct 21, 2013 12:54 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 21, 2013 6:30 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- The Cape Coral Fire Department responded to a crash involving a Nissan Altima and a motorcycle at 249 Cape Coral Pkwy E. just before 1:00 p.m. today. The motorcyclist has been identified as Christopher Brady Griffiths.
According to Cape Coral Police, Griffiths' motorcycle struck the rear of the Altima in the westbound lanes of Cape Coral Parkway between Palm Tree Boulevard and Santa Barbara Boulevard. The crash ejected Griffiths, who sustained life-threatening injuries. He was lying on his back in the roadway with his helmet on when firefighters arrived.
Firefighters began immediate medical care and initially called for a helicopter due to the seriousness of the injuries. However it was felt that the transport time would be less if taken by ambulance rather than waiting on the helicopter, so Griffiths was taken to Lee Memorial Hospital by ambulance with Cape Coral providing assistance in the ambulance.
Alcohol was a factor in the crash.
Griffiths is listed in critical condition at Lee Memorial Hospital.
The crash and subsequent investigation had Cape Coral Parkway completely shutdown for about three hours.
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 2 dead after shooting at Miami barbershop