Published: Oct 17, 2013 7:54 PM EDT
Updated: Oct 18, 2013 10:27 AM EDT

FORT MYERS, Fla. - A shooting near Fort Myers High School prompted the cancellation of a Junior Varsity football game Thursday evening.

Witnesses on campus reported hearing shots fired shortly before 7:00 Thursday night.

A school spokesperson tells WINK News the shots were off-campus in a nearby neighborhood.  The JV football game was canceled as a precaution, and the school's gymnasium secured for a volleyball game that had just begun.  The spokesperson said nobody was being allowed to enter campus following the shooting, but students could leave by their own transportation, or have a parent pick them up at designated locations.

Police set up a perimeter near the school to investigate.  There were no immediate reports of any injuries.

Only WINK News was there as one of those suspects was taken into custody.

Theman who lives at a house off McGregor says he caught one of the suspects in his driveway.

Neighborstell WINK News they saw the gunmen running through their yards and getting within feet of their homes.

One man was visiting a high school football game at Fort Myers High School and says he heard gunshots.

"After about 10 minutes of being here there was some shots fired, five shots in good succession and what looked like youths running through the forest," he said.

Another lady who lives just a few blocks away from Fort Myers High School also says she heard gunshots.

"Iwas riding my bike down cortez and I thought it was fireworks and i heard about maybe six," said Bonnie Mahobacher.

"One shot, then another shot, then another shot and there was at least six," said Mahobacher.

Fort Myers Police and Sheriff's deputies surrounded entire neighborhoods.

Roads were blocked off as K9's sniffed the groundand the helicopter searched for the suspects by air.

"Then the police came to the stadium and said for safety purposes we have to evacuate the stadium," said one witness.

One mansays his neighbors saw two of the suspects run through his girlfriends yard.

"Hollered at them and they took off running to my girlfriends house in to their yard and disappeared down Barcelona," said Chris Whittman.

Only WINK News was there are one of the suspects was being questioned by police in handcuffs.

Gregory Donovan says he found that suspect in his driveway.

"I walked outside here and a gentleman said he had been drinking and didn't think he was doing anything wrong but and I said to the police officer he is right here in my yard," said Donovan.