|Published:||Oct 14, 2013 5:50 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 15, 2013 7:37 AM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- Former Cape Coral lawyer John Powell is in an Indianapolis prison cell, facing six counts of child sex exploitation.
At one time, he lived comfortably in Cape Coral, working as a law partner at Burandt, Adamski, Grossman & Powell from 2007 to 2011. Now, under the title Burandt, Adamski & Feichthaler, his former partners wouldn't comment on the charges.
One former colleague said this is nothing like the man he knew.
"Always seemed optimistic and happy, always up," said Cape Coral attorney Stuart Pepper.
But the man fellow lawyers called "Rex" had a dark side.
Known on the internet as "thebeav" and "beavbirds," authorities said Powell worked with Peter Truong and Mark Newton to take advantage of the couple's 5-year-old adopted son. According to court documents, the men traveled from Australia to meet Powell in locations across the world. Sessions were taped in San Francisco, Australia and France.
According to Powell's 2012 indictment, "he used, enticed, persuaded, induced, and coerced Boy 1 to produce images and videos of Boy 1 engaging in sexually explicit conduct." All sessions were taped, "either alone or with Powell."
"You know there is a child pornography and the people who deal in it. There's also child pornography and the people that create it. And those are the lowest of the lowest criminals on earth," said Pepper.
The indictment said Powell was also involved with another child, who was about 9 years old.
"To be able to not arouse suspicion, to get away with what he was doing without any signs, is a remarkable feat. to be able to fool the most intelligent people on earth," said Pepper.
Pepper said Powell could face up to 25 years in prison on each count, meaning if he were convicted, he could spend more than 100 years behind bars.
Troung is awaiting his sentencing, currently in New Jersey, being held on unrelated charges. His partner, Newman, is serving 40 years behind bars.
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Ida Baker assistant principal put on leave
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified
- Police chief resigns in troubled Fla. city
- Fake service dogs hurting those who actually need them
- Radel makes Forbes' list of 'biggest career crashes of 2013'
- Men called heroes after pulling man from Golden Gate lake