|Published:||Oct 10, 2013 3:12 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 10, 2013 3:12 PM EDT|
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. (AP) - South Florida authorities say a 3-year-old girl is hospitalized in stable condition after a pit bull bit her face.
Palm Beach County Animal Care and Control Capt. David Walesky says the 6-year-old dog named Rusty has been quarantined because its rabies vaccinations were not current.
Walesky tells The Palm Beach Post (http://bit.ly/1beXZUS ) that it's not clear what prompted the dog to bite the girl. Investigators will determine whether Rusty meets dangerous dog criteria.
She was riding a bicycle Wednesday near the yard where the dog was tethered to its owner's truck. The owner was inside his home.
Walesky says the girl "went up into the property where the dog lawfully was."
Palm Beach Gardens Fire Rescue Chief Keith Bryer says the girl has cuts and puncture wounds to her face.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- Man who rescued motorcycle rider, killed in crash on Friday
- Sentencing delayed for Tampa abortion drug case
- Redmond HIV case could be thrown out under Fla. law
- SAO drops grand theft charge against fmr. commissioner
- APNewsBreak: Fla. congressman lost $18M in scheme