|Published:||Oct 09, 2013 3:45 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 09, 2013 3:45 PM EDT|
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla.- A Port Charlotte man was arrested Tuesday morning after he called the Sheriff’s Office to report a stolen firearm and deputies learned he was a convicted felon prohibited from possessing firearms.
Deputies responded to 2169 Elkcam Blvd. after 47-year-old Jimmy Dewayne Whipple allegedly reported that a firearm had been stolen.
While deputies were investigating the reported theft, they learned that Whipple was a convicted felon who was prohibited from possessing firearms. They also saw several items, including a smoking pipe, a grinder, a green container and four small smoked ‘joints’ on a coffee table in the house. The grinder contained a green leafy substance that tested positive for marijuana. They also found a pill bottle that contained a drug for which Whipple did not have a prescription.
Whipple was arrested on charges of Possession of Firearms by a Convicted Felon, Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, Possession of Marijuana, and Possession of Drugs without a Prescription. He is being held on a total $16,000 bond.
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- Cape Police arrest reckless driver near recent accident site
- Officials: 20 whales spotted closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash
- Cape Fire Station 2 closes for repairs due to mold
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim