|Published:||Oct 04, 2013 10:10 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 04, 2013 10:20 AM EDT|
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Gov. Rick Scott and other Florida Republicans are gathering in central Florida to raise money and prepare for the looming candidacy of Republican turned Democrat Charlie Crist.
The Republican Party of Florida is holding its Statesman's Dinner Friday evening at the Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World.
The big fundraising event comes amid the ongoing federal government shutdown in Washington D.C.
But it also comes nearly a year before Scott's attempt to win a second term. Scott barely won election three years ago and he has been battling stagnant poll numbers during most of his time in office.
One advantage for Republicans could be money. A political committee controlled by Scott has raised millions even though the election is still 13 months away.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim