|Published:||Oct 03, 2013 1:22 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 03, 2013 5:34 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- A Collier County Beach renourishment project is causing quite the commotion. The plan to haul sand would include using *Lee County roads.
Today, the Lee County School District says putting hundreds of wheels onto Corkscrew Road would increase the danger for transporting students. "It's just a fatality waiting to happen."
A route scheduled to haul sand through both Collier and Lee County is putting Corkscrew Road at the center of a debate.
"Corkscrew Road has lots of residents, cyclist and walkers and I didn't know how many students were actually out there," said concerned resident Darla Letourneau.
The Lee County School District tells WINK, they are concerned with the number of trucks and buses that would be sharing the road.
"I think it's important for the school district to take the safety of our students in mind no matter what the decision is," said Marc Mora with the district.
The transportation director suggested the increase in vehicle traffic on the road, increases the danger of the buses.
"They are big buses, they are slow to accelerate out of those communities onto Corkscrew Road," said Mora.
Just on Corkscrew Road alone, there are 28 bus stops at nine locations.
"It's scary to think we may be putting more people at risk."
Some of the stops along the route are not even monitored by a traffic light, meaning the bus has to merge into oncoming traffic.
"The new data that was presented by the number of school kids is very scary, we know some of crashes occur as kids are getting on and off the school bus." ?@
At this mornings meeting with the Metropolitan Planning Organization, there was no action taken.
The MPO says any decision is up to both Collier and Lee County board.
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Police arrest man who crashed his car into Cape canal
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash