|Published:||Oct 03, 2013 12:06 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 03, 2013 4:41 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- WINK NEWS and 92.5 FM are teaming up with Miromar Outlets to help stock the Harry Chapin Food Bank. The food bank will have a truck and volunteers on hand to collect food donations this Friday, Oct. 3, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 4. The truck will be located next to the MUNDO FOX playground on the side of the mall near the lake. Volunteers will collect your donations.
The food bank has about 200,000 pounds of U.S. Department of Agriculture food in the warehouse. If the federal government shutdown continues for an extended period of time, the food bank does not know when it may receive more of this nutritious food. USDA food makes up 10 percent of the total food distributed by the food bank. Over a one-year period this equals 1.6 million pounds of food. The rest of the food bank’s food comes through private sources, the food industry and fundraising.
Please help by donating canned meats, stews, chicken, tuna, peanut butter, beans, rice, canned fruit, vegetables, pasta, pasta sauce, baby food, cereal, fruit juice, canned soup and other non-perishable items.
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash
- Cape Fire Station 2 closes for repairs due to mold
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim
- An iconic ship gets a chance to set sail on a new voyage
- Post Office offers help on Sundays
- Ft. Myers woman reflects on Mandela, growing up in S. Africa
- 'Dunk City' could host 2014 gubernatorial debate
- 2 Collier beach access points reopen after replacing sand