|Published:||Oct 02, 2013 10:32 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 02, 2013 10:47 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, FL.--Nasal sprays, thin needles, even special mixes for people with allergies.
This year, you'll have more options than ever when you get your flu shot.
It's that time of year for Holli Nixon's three children; preventing the flu.
"If one gets sick we all get sick," Nixon said.
Her youngest daughter gets the standard shot and the two boys get the nasal spray.
"The mist is easy. It is a deep breath and they are done," she said.
But this year, for the first time, there's a new vaccine that protects against four of the most common flu viruses.
The standard three strain flu shot will still be available.
As will the nasal spray, but that has the live virus and is only reccomended for those who are healthy and between 2 and 49 yeard old.
This year it will also protect against all 4 flu strains.
"The nasal one, can sometimes give you a little runny nose, a little sore throat a day at the most. Very minor," said Dr. Karen Calkins with Lee Convenient Care.
Also new this season, is an egg-free flu vaccine.
"If people do have an allergy to eggs, that is certainly an option that they need to talk to their doctor about," said Calkins.
A high-dose shot is also available for the elderly and also a smaller needle shot if your between 18 and 64.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Ida Baker assistant principal put on leave
- Fake service dogs hurting those who actually need them
- Men called heroes after pulling man from Golden Gate lake
- Residents are still homeless after a devastating Sept. fire
- Nate Lee continues to fight for 911 call system improvements
- Healthpark Medical Center adding 9 extra beds for season
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Local organization attracts hundreds to fight hunger