|Published:||Sep 30, 2013 10:28 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 30, 2013 10:28 AM EDT|
MELBOURNE, Fla. (AP) - A surfer is recovering from a shark bite on his hand.
The incident happened Sunday near the Aquarina Beach and Country Club in southern Brevard County.
Brevard County Fire Rescue Lt. Gary Windham told Florida Today (http://on.flatoday.com/16YXs6l ) the man "suffered a significant bite to the left hand" and almost "lost four fingers."
The man, who was reported to be around 50, is a local surfer. He walked to a fire station, where he was treated. Then he was taken to Holmes Regional Medical Center in Melbourne for further treatment.
The newspaper reports he was released from the hospital about 5 p.m. Sunday.
No further details were immediately available.
Information from: Florida Today (Melbourne, Fla.), http://www.floridatoday.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies
- Search ends for 2 missing from migrants' raft