|Published:||Sep 30, 2013 5:13 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 30, 2013 5:51 PM EDT|
SANIBEL ISLAND, Fla.- Two people in Lee County have died from a flesh-eating bacteria found in the warm Gulf waters.
The water is safe, but it's not a good idea to go into the water if you have an open wound. The flesh-eating bacteria is known a Vibrio Vulnificus. Nine Floridians have already died this year after contracting the bacteria by either swimming in warm sea-water with an open wound, which caused an infection, or by eating raw shellfish.
There have been three reported cases in Lee County, but the Department of Health isn't concerned right now. A woman in her 60s on vacation here in Southwest Florida was infected with the bacteria last week and is in fair condition at Health Park.
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- 2 dead after shooting at Miami barbershop
- Panther found dead of suspected gunshot wound
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Man who gave abortion drug to be sentenced
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash