|Published:||Sep 27, 2013 4:20 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 27, 2013 5:54 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- The race has begun in earnest to replace former Lee commissioner Tammy Hall, who resigned after agreeing to accept a federal charge of mis-using campaign funds. The contest already features an eclectic group.
It includes a former Lee school board member, a real estate consultant, and a member of the Democratic party.
Bob Chilmonik served on the school board, and now wants the interim job of replacing Hall. He promises not to run for a full term in office, four years, if he is appointed to fill the remaining nearly 14 months of Hall's term.
"I know the local issues and I will not be distracted by campaigning for the job. I will be able to focus on the issues and working with my colleagues to get the best solution to problems," says Chilmonik.
Paige Rausch, who works in real estate, also promises to not run for the full term if she is appointed to the interim position.
"I have the business ties, and I want to continue the good work that this governor is doing to craete jobs for our residents. I also value the environment and I know the water issues that are so important now," says Rausch.
Deb Jordan is a democrat who is applying to Governor Rick Scott for the interim job. Jordan also is running for the full-term job next year, regardless of what happens with the interim post.
"I think diversity is important. Yes I am a democrat and I am a female, which means I can multi-task," Jordan tells WINK News. "I would bring some fresh perspectives to the county board."
Governor Scott has authority to make the appointment. His press office will only say, the governor will pick someone who has honesty and integrity. There is no time-line for the governor to make his pick. However, the board already has had one, deadlocked, 2 to 2 vote, since Hall resigned Tuesday afternoon. A tie vote becomes defeat for the issue at hand. Some commissioners would like the governor to act quickly in making the appointment.
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft